Wednesday, September 10, 2008

X Marks the Spot

Using a series of photographs and timestamps, I retraced my steps through the dense growth of a Hocking Hills gorge. The first time I was here (this year) it was January. Visibility wasn't an issue. I had come to chase waterfalls, and with the snows melting, I was not disappointed.

One spot in particular captured my attention. The photos have since been the subject of many a conversation. Where is this? Is this a picture of space? Did you take this? Is it under water? What is it?

When I returned in June to scout the location for portraits, the gorge was thick and verdant. I was also relying on memory to get me there. I was caught in two separate, and fairly vicious thunderstorms. I was forced to take shelter in caves and under rocky overhangs. I unwittingly followed a creek into an adjoining gorge and found myself lost for three hours.

I was wet, tired, without food, water or cell service. I was alone, and no one knew where I had gone. I dug myself out of the hole I was in, and eight hours after I left it, I returned to my car without finding the waterfall. I also suffered a rash of poison ivy for a week after.

BUT!... (↑ see first line above ↑)

Before I left the house yesterday, I made a map using the photos that I took in January. Each photo has a time stamp of when it was taken. I used this as a distance between subjects. I know my pace while I'm hiking, so it was as easy as checking off landmarks.

It rained hard Monday night, and I was expecting a spectacular display. As wet as the gorge was, all the falls were drips.

Yes, I found my subject, nearly dry. But, wet or dry, now I know, and I can start shooting people in front of that Beautiful Face.


I also found this bright little fellow. I believe him to be a Small Chanterelle.

No comments: