Monday, September 22, 2008

Waste Not

I have worked in catering off and on for nearly a decade. I've served in embassies and at universities, at private homes and small picnics. Weddings are my bread and butter...literally.

Buffets = Over production = waste
Plated dinners = better portion control (even though the size of those portions are ridiculous) = less waste

True, some of it may be able to be used somewhere, but most is destined for the bin. Donate? Many places I've worked worry about lawsuits. The scary part is that it's viewed as acceptable loss. It has been paid for.

After the weekend, my fridge is usually full of left overs that I didn't cook myself. Meats, cheeses and fruits are common. Visits to the grocery store are few and far between, and only for the essentials. Not a bad trade off for lack of tips.

I would (still) be a vegetarian if it weren't for the free fridge fillings. Toss a dozen chickens or eat a dozen chickens? The options are weighted.

I was thrilled when I found Wasted Food. I was reading an article on NY bicycle safety (I've friends in NY that bike) on No Impact Man when I came across the link. There's a lot of great information about social awareness on both of these sites.

Dig in!

Wasted Food

No Impact Man

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've recycled,pared off the mold,and "dumpster-dived" for years. I'm proud of the meals that have been prepared with what others have thrown out...or would have thrown out. Waste not..want not. Amomynous